Sunday, February 17, 2013

Another day, Another place


Ok...I did it again. I went a whole week without posting. For those of you who have complained about the lack of posting (cough cough...you know who you are) this is my first time blogging and I'm not used to writing down everything I do during the week. However, this was probably the best week I've had since coming to Ireland in the sense that I finally feel like I have a routine down. Classes are good although relatively uneventful - everyone here is so laid back which is a big difference from my usual hectic school schedule back in Arizona. Homework is almost nonexistent here, and the only thing I really need to do outside of class is reading. 

At the beginning of the week I decided to audition for the choral society, for a few reasons. For one, it was past due that I started making some friends here - and why not make friends who are nerdy and love music...just like me? So after swallowing the bundle of nerves that circled around auditioning, I sang a few bars of Danny Boy (cliche I know), did a range test, and sight read a page of music and got accepted into the society! I am one of only two study abroad students in the society but instead of being intimidated by that fact I'm really excited; I didn't come here to immerse myself in American culture obviously. And second, I love music so much and this is the first time that I've really been able to take up music in college. I'm excited to see what I get out of this opportunity and its really great to look at my desk and see sheet music laying there just like the "old" days.

I also went grocery shopping on a large scale this week. For most of you that's probably not that exciting but when you live a fair distance from any grocery store, have limited funds, and reaaaallllly love to eat, grocery shopping is a fantastic adventure. But more than buying food, it was great to get out and explore the town on my own. I discovered the European version of a dollar store, found out that not only do you have to pay for your own grocery bags but you also have to pay for using carts, and navigated the bus system successfully. 

Just like the last two weekends, Saturday was occupied by a day trip - this time to Southwestern Ireland to the famous city of Killarney. What's great about these trips is that the cost is relatively low, they're well organized, and while I may not get to spend as much time as I'd like in the towns themselves I get to really get a taste of the spirit of Ireland in places that aren't as easily accessible through normal public transportation.

 A lakeside castle in the midst of what is now a massive national park, Ross Castle is a 15th century castle built by O Donaghue Mor. The stone fortress was the last stronghold to hold out against Cromwell, eventually falling in 1652. It was used as a residence all the way up until 1825, and has been ever since a famous tourist spot for people visiting Killarney.

 The castle is not particularly large, especially when compared to other castles across Ireland and the rest of Europe, but its beautiful location along the water provided strategic protection throughout its long and distinguished history.

 The lakes are inhabited by trout and salmon, as well as hundreds of wild birds like ducks, eagles, and swans. While this swan may look beautiful, don't let its pure exterior fool you. This rather large swan growled at people and small dogs alike for the entire time we were on Ross Island. If you've never heard a swan growl...you should be glad lol. I think the little terrier in a sweater almost peed itself after passing too close to this big guy. Guess he temporarily forgot the "just look don't touch" rule.


After exploring Ross Castle and walking the mine trails that go on for a few miles behind it, we took an hour long cruise along the biggest of the three lakes of Killarney - Lough Leane (pronounced 'lock' 'leen'). Translated from Irish, Lough Leane means "lake of learning", a name which most likely was given to the body of water due to the presence of the monastery on one of the islands. The ruins of the monastery lie on Inisfallen Island, one of the 23 islands that reside in the lakes, and dates back to the 11th century.


 In the background through the mist you can see the base of the McGillycuddy's Reeks, the highest mountains in Ireland. Granted, most of the "mountains" in Ireland would be considered hills at home, but who cares. These mountains are visible from many different perspectives throughout Killarney National Park which covers a vast 26,000 acres.


 Unfortunately we didn't have good weather like we did in the last two trips, but did we let a wee bit of rain stop us from having fun? No we did not! Here's me with my new friends Sarah and Laura, two girls from Italy that I met through these international trips. Sarah is the one on the left and Laura is on the right.

 After the lake cruise, which got rather chilly by the end, we went to the base of Torc Mountain, which has absolutely amazing woodlands. Most of Ireland that I've seen to date has been either rolling fields and stone walls or rocky coastline, so to see forest again made me realize how much I love living in Oregon where this kind of landscape is rarely far away.


 Torc Waterfall is only a few miles from Killarney's city center, and was really amazing due to all the rain that had been falling prior to our arrival. At its peak the waterfall is about 20 meters high, and if you climb the steps across from it you can see over the Middle Lake of Killarney.



 Killarney is one of the biggest tourist hot spots in Ireland and is located in the middle of County Kerry, also called "The Kingdom of Kerry." Besides having many great things to see (e.g. Ross Castle, Killarney National Park, St. Mary's Cathedral, etc.), the city is also famous for Queen Victoria's visit in 1861 which gained a lot of international exposure. Second only to Dublin, Killarney has the biggest tourism industry in all of Ireland and is extremely beautiful to boot. There are so many amazing little shops to visit and more musical pubs than you could count using all your fingers and toes. A must-see for sure.


Well....that's all I know for now. I will do my best to post more often and let everyone know what's going on over on this side of the world. Ta ta!

No comments:

Post a Comment