Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Funny things Irish people say

Today was my third day of classes here at the University of Limerick, and for the first time since I got here I actually saw the blue sky beneath the clouds! Yes ladies and gents, the sun actually does exist in Ireland. Super stoked. But since the whole fact about the sun coming out isn't nearly as exciting for you all as it is for me, I also thought  I'd let you all in to some funny things about Irish people.

First, some obvious ones: Irish people swear a lot. Essentially, the 'F' word is like punctuation around here rather than an actual word. The Irish have a very casual relationship with profanity and there's no use calling them out on it because they don't even know that they're doing it really. And second of all, they drink...A LOT lol. Probably they drink too much but hey, they're Irish, and they are quite literally surrounded by bars and pubs. What else are you supposed to do in a country that's cold and rainy all the time?

Ok, so here are two not so obvious ones I've learned. For one, people here are extremely flexible with time. When someone says "Meet me at 9" what that really means is that you should meet them at like 9:30, or even 10. In fact, showing up to a party or whatnot on time is almost considered rude. Also, if someone you barely know says you should come by for dinner sometime, don't take them literally. They're just trying to be friendly. Secondly, if someone asks you if you had "crack"....they are NOT referring to drug use. Crack here is another way of saying "fun".....interesting I know.

Well, that's about all I know for now. And since the sun showed its face around here today, I thought I'd take some pictures around campus to show you all. Feel free to be jealous ;)

This is the creepy man statue in the main courtyard...which no one knows the significance of...

The main building - where many of my classes are located

The Library

Even the parking lots have fountains....

Plassey House - which they lovingly call "The White House"

Probably one of the weirdest buildings I've ever seen....

The bridge across the River Shannon, where part of the University is located

The River Shannon

About a five minute walk from where I live

Little waterfall running through campus






No comments:

Post a Comment